AÇAI

Our search for superfoods begins in the Amazon. Acai berries contain 30 times more polyphenols than red wine. Acai powder is easy to use in smoothies and raw food recipes.

Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) is a small, black-purple berry that grows in the top of the Acaizeiro palm tree in the Amazon. The palm grows to be 15-20 meters high, with three meter long leaves, and each branch can produce between 700 to 900 berries.  Acai berry has a complex taste that is often described as blend of blueberries, tea and chocolate. This well-kept-secret of the Amazon, the Acai berry, was commercialized by the enterprising Brazilians who began freezing and transporting it to Rio de Janeiro. The majority of Acai berries are harvested in the wild, meaning that they are naturally 100% organic. Care is taken to freeze the berries within 24 hours of their harvest, insuring that they retain all of their nutrients.

More than 90% of the Acai berry is seed, leaving only 10% that is edible flesh. The flesh is separated from the core by tumbling the berry in water. Acai berries can be used in both food and drinks. They can also be ingested in a variety of other ways, such as capsules, freeze-dried fruit powder and fruit puree. Why has the Acai berry become so popular? What really makes the Acai special is the amount of polyphenols it contains. It is the polyphenols that give the Acai berry its dark purple, almost black color.

Acai contains 30 times more polyphenols than red wine and 3-6 times as many polyphenols as Blueberries. Fresh Acai has an ORAC value of 184 μmolTE/g compared with cultivated Blueberries at 32 and Wild Blueberries at 61 μmolTE/g. Superfruits Acai is the most highly concentrated Acai powder available in health stores. The powder can be mixed in water, juice, smoothies and yogurt and provides more than 6000 ORAC units per 3g daily dose.

The energy of Acai comes from essential fatty acids. Acai powder contains polyunsaturated omega 6 (3%) and mono-unsaturated omega 9 (13%). Most of the carbohydrate intake (67% overall) from consumption of Acai powder is Fiber (62.5%) of which 59% is insoluble Fiber.

Acai powder contains almost no sugar and has a GI <1, making it suitable for diets that avoid sugar. From the daily dose you also get 21% of the RDA of Iron.

Amazon Friendly: The product supports Amazon Friendly, an organization for sustainable development in the Amazon.